There is a time when you needed to take a consultation with the local doctor to check your blood pressure. But now, as a result of the progress in technology, all you will need is a blood pressure checker to measure your blood pressure in the comforts of your house. Oh, and also you should not head out everywhere to purchase it ,since you're able to purchase the very best blood pressure machine online from your favorite shopping website. Pick from a selection of blood pressure machines from popular brands like Olex, Omron, Citizen etc. Assessing the BP may be carried out by two different kind of machines, which might be manual and automatic blood pressure monitors, and may be purchased online at reasonable price.
Why Blood Pressure Changes? Learn How to Use BP Machine
Manual BP MachineThese monitors are affordable when contrasted with its counterparts- the digital monitors. These monitors can also be called aneroid monitors. Manual blood pressure monitors are also called sphygmomanometer. The manual blood pressure, bought online at affordable prices, usually is made up of arm cuff, a squeeze bulb is used to increase the cuff's size, a gauge to check the BP. and a stethoscope. On the gauge of the manual blood pressure monitor, there is a needle that displays the blood pressure. When the pressure rises in the cuff, the needle on the gauge is made to swing clockwise, while the needle swings anti-clockwise if it reduces. With the dial markings, you can know your blood pressure
Automatic Digital BP MachineThe other one is the digital blood pressure monitors, and they can be bought online at an affordable price. These digital blood pressure monitors use electronic batteries, while the blood pulsating force can then be checked with the microphone.
This is very portable, as the digital blood pressure monitors bought online can either be the hand-worn or wrist worn. To use it, you wear it to the arm or wrist and then you can easily monitor the blood pressure.
Your blood pressure should be measured twice every day, with an affordable blood pressure monitor online, in the morning before taking any drugs or eating, and in the evening. When measuring, ensure to take at least two readings to ensure the results you get are accurate.
But Before that, we need to understand why Blood Pressure Changes?
Reasons for Blood Pressure Changes: Why?Stress
Anxiety and stress are known to increase the blood pressure for a while. If the stress continues, then the cardiovascular system may adapt to an extent that there permanent blood pressure problems. To monitor the blood pressure, you can buy blood pressure monitors online.
This occurs to some scared about meeting or keeping an appointment with a doctor. This happens to a lot of people.
An appointment with a doctor can lead to a spike in the BP temporarily. When you do it at home with your blood pressure monitors bought online, you may realise that your blood pressure reading is normal, but once you step into the hospital, it changes. This may not mean you are hypertensive, but those who suffer from white-coat hypertension may develop the high blood pressure.
Some drugs are known to increase the blood pressure like the allergy medications and even cold drugs, but the blood pressure pills and diuretics are known to reduce the blood pressure. When taking these drugs, buy affordable blood pressure monitors online.
Activities, especially stressful ones, are known to increase blood pressure. Exercising, laughing a lot, talking and having a lot of sex can increase one's blood pressure. This is why athletes need to check their blood pressure daily with the blood pressure monitors bought online. They are susceptible to having high blood pressure.
Food and drink
Some foods or drinks are known to increase the BP reading. Foods that have high tyramine content and aged foods like fermented foods, brined foods, cured foods and pickled foods.
Here are 10 General Factors / Mistakes due to which BP readings affect...
- Blood Pressure Cuff is too Small - It is extremely important to make sure the proper size blood pressure cuff is used on your upper arm when taking a measurement. In fact, most blood pressure measurement errors occur by not taking the time to determine if the patient's arm circumference falls within the Range indicators on the cuff. Studies have shown that using too small of a blood pressure cuff can cause a patient's systolic blood pressure measurement to increase 10 to 40 mmHg.
- Blood Pressure Cuff Used Over Clothing - When having your blood pressure measured, the cuff should always be placed directly on your arm. Studies have shown that clothing can impact a systolic blood pressure from 10 to 50 mmHg.
- Not Resting 3-5 minutes - To obtain an accurate blood pressure measurement, it is important that you relax and rest quietly in a comfortable chair for 3 to 5 minutes before a reading is taken. Any activities such as exercise or eating can affect your systolic blood pressure measurement 10 to 20 mmHg.
- Arm/Back/Feet Unsupported - When having your blood pressure measured, you should always be seated in a comfortable chair, legs uncrossed, with your back and arm supported. If your back is not supported, your diastolic blood pressure measurement may be increased by 6 mmHg.
Crossing your legs has shown to raise your systolic blood pressure by 2 to 8 mmHg. The positioning of your upper arm below your heart level will also result in higher measurements, whereas positioning your upper arm above your heart level will give you lower measurements. These differences can increase/decrease your systolic blood pressure 2mmHg for every inch above/below your heart level.
- Emotional State - Stress or anxiety can cause large increases in blood pressure. If you are having your blood pressure taken while thinking about something that causes you to tense up or become stressed, your blood pressure levels could significantly increase.
- Talking - If you are talking to the nurse/doctor while having your blood pressure taken, studies have shown that your systolic blood pressure measurement may increase 10 to 15mmHg.
- Smoking - Tobacco products (cigarettes, cigars, smokeless tobacco) all contain nicotine which will temporarily increase your blood pressure, so refrain from smoking at least 30 minutes before having a blood pressure measurement taken.
- Alcohol/Caffeine - Alcohol and caffeine (sodas, coffee, tea, etc) consumption causes blood pressure levels to spike so stay away from alcohol/caffeine at least 30 minutes before having a blood pressure measurement taken.
- Temperature - Blood pressure tends to increase when you are cold. Therefore, if you are at the doctor's office and the room temperature is "chilly" to you, be aware that your blood pressure readings may be higher than expected.
- Full bladder - Your blood pressure is lower when your bladder is empty. As your bladder gradually fills, your blood pressure increases. Studies have shown that your systolic blood pressure measurements could increase 10 to 15mm Hg when you have a full bladder.
The normal blood pressure is 120/80, although most people do not have a blood pressure of exactly 120/80. Low blood pressure is much less common than high blood pressure. If you have a blood pressure of 140/90, on 2 or more checks, you may be diagnosed with high blood pressure.
The Right Cuff SizeWhile buying a blood pressure monitor online, ensure to buy the one with the right cuff size that fits you.
For those upper-arm blood pressure monitors, there will be a cuff that comes with it, in which you can wrap around your arm. If you make use of a blood pressure monitor with a wrong cuff size, the reading will be incorrect.
To get the right cuff size, measure your upper arm at its middle. Then use the measurement to choose your cuff size.
If your upper arm measurement is 18-22 cm or 7.1-8.7”, go for the small cuff size online.
If the upper arm measurement is 22-32 cm or 8.8-12.8”, go for the medium cuff size blood pressure monitor online.
If it is 32-45 cm or 12.8-18”, opt for a blood pressure monitor that is largely online.
A lot of blood pressure monitors sold online come with medium cuff size, it is necessary to order for your size.
Since the automatic blood pressure monitors works automatically, calibrating more than once in two years should be done to ensure the readings are correct.
There are generally four kinds of blood pressure monitors that can be used at home are: the upper arm monitors which inflates automatically immediately a button is touched; those upper arm monitors that need the pumping of the bladder before it will inflate; those blood pressure monitors that are worn over the wrists, and the last one which is fingertips monitor. The upper arm BP machine, wrist and fingertips monitors can be bought online at an affordable price. Though there may be some apps on the smartphone that claims to take the blood pressure readings, but they are not accurate.
Accuracy is the keyThe most accurate among those mentioned is the upper arm blood pressure monitor that doesn't need a bladder. Its readings are generally accurate and it works automatically.
For the second one with a bladder, the readings are accurate only when you know how to operate it. When using this blood pressure monitor at home, you may get annoyed if you do not know how to use it, and this increases the blood pressure.
For the third one and fourth one, they are a bit accurate, but not as accurate as the first and second.
We strongly encourage you to talk with your health care professional about your blood pressure changes, causes, and treatments. The information contained in this website about blood pressure changes and other medical conditions is meant to be helpful and educational but is not a substitute for medical advice.